Monday, March 9, 2009

Monday Stock Tip: GE

General Electric.  America.  GE is one of the world's largest companies - it was in the top ten as of this past summer, but due to the nose dive of its stock I doubt that is the case anymore.

GE's stock has been in that nosedive for good reason, they have really leveraged themselves over the past few decades as a financial firm.  Something that really helped them when things were going well, but is now really coming back to haunt them.

What does GE do?  Well ... they don't just make light bulbs anymore.  They are involved in almost everything imaginable - making tons of different consumer goods, and they also have a large financial/credit business.

Is GE going to go bankrupt?  No.  Now I could be completely wrong in saying that, but I just don't see it happening.  The financial sector will return, as will GE's business in finance - and hopefully GE decides to devote a little less of their company towards those markets in the future.

So what is GE doing that makes it a buy ... Well in my opinion it is trading lower than it should be (as is everything these days), but GE is really a great company.  Though it has been called into question recently whether or not GE is truly still a Blue Chip (a blue chip is generally a well established company with stable earnings and no large liabilities).  While GE clearly has more liabilities than it should (and more than most investors would like), I believe the company is inherently stable.

Additionally I like their strong movement into the renewable energy market.  Along with BP and XOM, GE really stands out as a company that doesn't need to be investing so heavily in renewable energy - but realizes that it is where the future lies.  Additionally, GE and Google have been partnering on green initiatives around the world, which you can read about here.

All in all ... I am not sure what else to tell you, except that I think GE is a good buy.  I mean afterall, Warren Buffet invested ... and he is never wrong!


Disclosure: GWSkank owns some GE, but he had no influence on me writing this.  And I used to own GE, but that was quite a few years ago.

No comments: