Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Apple news!

Here is a link to the Engadget liveblog, because its the best.

New iLife ... the new iPhoto and iMovie seem really cool

New iWork ... nothing exciting, except for iWork.com - which is like Google Docs.  It is free while in beta, afterwards it moves to a pay service

New 17" MBP ... integrated non-removable battery - lasts 8 hours, and 1000 charges - which is outstanding (if it is actually true).

The big news!!!!!!  iTunes is going DRM free!  As of today, 8 million out of the 10 million songs currently available will be DRM Free.  By the end of the quarter (April 1), all 10 million songs will be DRM Free.  Also at the end of the quarter - the price structure is going to change to $0.69, $0.99, $1.29; depending on the popularity of the song.

I'm excited about DRM Free ... though the word is still out as to how much it costs for people who currently have DRMed songs.  It would be great if we were able to upgrade for free, but that is unlikely.  As for the new price structure - I am personally a fan.  I have always been against Apple being such a stickler with the music labels, and am happy to accept this higher price for more popular songs if it means I can use them however I like.

And finally downloads are available over 3G ... as of right now (I actually just did it).  I am not quite sure what Apple gave to AT&T to arrange this bs, but I would be willing to bet to bet that Apple gave them something.  I'm pretty impressed with this ... good job.  H pointed out (which I failed to realize), you can now listen to a song on the radio ... Shazzam it ... and then buy it.  No WiFi necessary.  That is pretty cool.

Anyway ... Apple stock is down, of course - always should short it before the keynote - Wall Street always has expectations that are too high.  Oh wow its really on a nose dive, I really wish I had shorted it.

Rant: It is important to keep in mind that it is still illegal to buy a song and send it to someone.  The DRM-free copy is yours, and yours only.  DMCA makes that quite clear, so I would really encourage you to abide by the law, and your own personal morality, and not illegally send people songs.  If someone sends you a song and you really like, go out and buy it - maybe you disagree with these companies revenue streams and think they are robber barons, but that doesn't give you the right to steal from them.  As the MPAA would say - would you steal a car?  No.  Then why would you steal a movie (song)?

Attention Apple: Where was the mini?  That's all I'm really pissed about.  I would have liked that media server, but really!  The mini ... please!

1 comment:

Rose, Washington DC said...

tim...i love your rant regarding the rule of law, and your colloquial use of the word "robber barons". since i am waiting to buy a macbook until they are on a sale of some kind (and, being a moral citizen, would not lie about being a student to knock off a few dollars). since you seem to peruse these sites about macs more than me...will you let me know if you see a good deal?

many thanks
in lawfulness
rosie