Wednesday, January 28, 2009

No Mail on Tuesdays

This post is cite H, though I did see it on Reader seconds after he e-mailed me.  Here are two links to articles in regards to this - NYT and AP.

The Post Office lost $2.8 Billion last year -- and is on track to lose more this year.  The Post Office estimates they can save between $1.9-3.5 Billion by eliminating delivery one day per week.

The Postmaster General appeared before Congress today to ask that the 6-day-a-week requirement be lifted.  He hinted that the lowest day by volume is Tuesday, and that would likely be the day that is cut.

I am hurt/outraged ... because I love getting mail.  At the same time it is important to note that USPS uses NONE of your tax dollars - they operate completely independently, although Congress controls everything they do.

While I'm sure this has a bit to do with the economy - it has a lot more to do with the fact that people just don't send as much mail - which is a sign of the times.  Unforunately I think this might be necessary.  :-/  So I would like to publically support the Postmaster General in the removal of the 6-day-a-week delivery requirement.

Sadness ... what are your thoughts?

No comments: